Short Rope – Every student has a rope and has personal space for jump roping.
Lay rope in a line in front of you in a straight line
- Walk heel-toe from one end to the other while next to the line.
- Walk heel toe backwards next to your line.
- Zig-Zag skier style (side to side) starting at one end, then turn around and return
- Put one hand on each side of your rope and jump both feet back and forth.
- Tightrope walker from one end to the other, then return
Lay rope in a circle in front of you
- Balance on one foot and go as low as you can – then, as high as you can
- Put one hand in the middle and see if you can move your feet 360 degrees around the circle
- Leap into your rope on two feet
- Leap in on one foot and out on one foot
- Leap over your rope on two feet
Partners put your two ropes together and make a circle
- Around the Lake Tag
- Choose one person to be it
- Try to tag your partner with a hand
- Tag without going in “lake” or into the forest (rest of gym)
- When tagged – count thousand one, thousand two, switch “its”
Before you jump rope…
- Thread the Needle (hand on both handles and jump over it)
- Swing the rope and stop it with your feet.
- When you’re ready to jump, just watch for the rope to be closer your feet Most people miss because they jump too soon.
Long Rope for K,1,2: Teacher is the rope turner
It works best initially if the teacher turns the long rope by hooking one end of the rope to an eye bolt on the wall.
- Ocean Waves (Up and down ripple)
- Snake Jump (Side to side ripple)
- Blue bells (back and forth jump)
- Single Side Swing and Jump – Always keep a handle in each hand
- Cue: left-jump-right – jump
- Swing rope to right side – jump
- Swing rope to left side – jump
Scissors – Forward Straddle
- Cue: Left-Right
- Jump to stride position with left foot forward
- Jump and reverse position of feet
- Cue: Apart – Cross
- Jump to straddle position
- Jump to crossed legs
- Cue: Apart-Cross
- Jump, toes and knees together, heels spread
- Jump, heels together, toes and knees spread
- Heel – Toe
- Heel – Toe – Heel – Toe
- Hop on left foot, touch right heel forward
- Hop on left foot again, touch right toe backward
- Repeat on opposite side