Equipment and Setup:
- Two lines facing each other in the middle of the gym.
- Space each line so players are spread out.
- Each player should have someone across from them. This is their partner.
Practice with the teacher:
- Rock is a fist (Everyone make a fist).
- Paper is a flat hand facing down (Everyone make a flat hand facing down).
- Scissors is a hand that simulates scissors with the 1st and 2nd fingers separating and closing (Everyone make a hand that simulates scissors).
- ROCK SMASHES SCISSORS
- PAPER COVERS ROCK
- SCISSORS CUTS PAPER
- Teacher gives signal or starts music to begin game.
- Partners do rock, paper, scissors by facing each other and pounding their fist into their hand and together chanting: “1,2,3 show”.
- One the word “show” each player displays either rock, paper, or scissors.
- When a player wins they become they become the tagger and do 5 jumping jacks or three spins.
- The other player may move around the gym and attempt to avoid the tag. When playing in the gym you may want to define a locomotor skill such as walking (power walking), slide-stepping, skipping, or galloping.
- The tag we use is called the peace tag. Hold your two fingers up and show the peace sign. When you tag, it is a peaceful tag, two fingers in the middle of your partner’s back.
- After the tag, you can do the rock, paper, scissors to begin a new game again. In grades K /1/ 2 it may work better to just have partners change roles each time.
- For a longer game and more interaction, pick new partners after each player has completed turns as the tagger and another turn as the player being tagged.