Equipment and Setup:
- One Hula Hoop for each student.
- Set cones (at least four) up as the outline for a large track on the floor.
Today students will be simulating driving a car by holding their hula hoop in the air as if it were a giant steering wheel.
- Spread students out around the giant circle which is designated with the four cones.
- Students will be following the directions of the teacher as they move around the gym in a counterclockwise direction.
Driving Actions: Teacher led demonstration followed by the students practicing the skill as they move around the gym.
- Car Start and Drive Away Snow: Turn the key or tell Siri to start it: Start your engine!
- I’m Walkin: Yellow light – Move slowly
- Stop in the Name of Love: RED Light – Stop – Stop your car and wait.
- You Make Me Feel Like Dancing: School Zone – Skipping happily!
- Drive My Car: The Beatles
- I’m a Gummy Bear: Tunnel – Walk low to the floor
- Stop in the Name of Love: STOP – Stop your car
- Life Is a Highway: Highway – Move faster, jogging and running
- Yakety Yak: Oil Slick – It’s very slippery, so be careful. Quick turns
- Sirens-Remix (Sound Effect) Cops! – Pull over to the right.
- I’m Walkin’: Flat Tire – Hop on one
- Cha-Cha Slide Radio: This song is so good on the radio that you are going to pull your car over and dance inside your hoop.
- Banana Song (From the Minion Movie): Potholes – leap over the holes
- Vehicle Reversing Beep: Reverse – Walk backwards
- Happy: School Zone – Skip backwards in Reverse
Interstate: Put your Car on cruise control
- Rain: Hold your steering wheel with one hand and use the other as a windshield wiper
- Radio: The song is so good on the radio that you are going to pull your car over and dance inside your hoop.
- Sunshine: Reach into the glove compartment to pull out cool shades — put them on using the “John Travolta” fingers in a “V” shape moving over the eyes
- Muddy Road: Slide in the mud by sliding feet & moving hips