Equipment and Setup:
- One hula hoop for each student in the class.
- Set up cones near each corner of the gym with enough room for the students to easily pass around the outside of the cone.
- Music for Driving
Today students will be simulating driving a car by holding their hula hoop in the air as if it were a giant steering wheel.
- Spread students out around the giant circle which is designated with the four cones.
- Students will be following the directions of the teacher as they move around the gym in a counterclockwise direction.
Driving Actions: Teacher led demonstration followed by the students practicing the skill as they move around the gym.
- Song 1. Sound Effects Start Your Engines: Turn on your car.
- Song 2. I’m Walkin’ Yellow light: Move slowly with caution
- Song 3. Stop in the Name Red Light: Stop and Freeze
- Song 4. School Day School Zone: Students are always happy as they go to school. Let’s see those happy children going to school.
- Song 5. Greased Lightning Highway: Speed limit is now 70 mph, not 20 mph like in the school zone. So, get moving!
- Song 6. Rock Around Uphill: Lift your knees up high as you march up the hill.
- Song 7. At the Hop Flat tire – Hop on one foot until you are so tired you have to pull over. You may stand on one foot and balance as you await assistance.
- Song 7. Grease Tunnel: Bend your knees and drive.
- Song 8. Sound effects Emergency vehicle: Pull over to the right side as the siren sounds.
Two Directions at the same time!
- Song 9 . Happy Yellow Light and School Zone –Slowly Skip in a School Zone
- Song 10. Sound effects Uphill and in Reverse March backwards
- Song 11. Afro Nuts Reverse and School Zone Skip Backward in the school zone