Setup and Equipment:
- Six to Eight Scooters
- Set small cones in a large circle near the center of the gym to make a race track.
- Line up each team at each of the sides of the ‘circular “track”
Guidelines for Indy 500
- This will be a race around the outside of the cones. You’ll be lining up like it’s a 400 meter relay on the track.
- Break into pairs by your team’s cone. The partner can only push when traveling around the curves. The driver has to glide or make themselves move on the straightaways.
- Whe you get back to your starting part, change places or let your other partners take a turn. Continue taking turns moving around the track.
- How many laps can your team do in five, or maybe 10 minutes?
- Two partners from each team line up at the black line in the front of the gym. One is standing, the other is sitting on the scooter.
- On the teacher’s signal, the person in back leans down low and pushes their scooter partner towards the climbing wall;
- When they hit the wall or calmly stop before hitting the wall, pick up the scooter and run it back to the front of the line
- The scooter is handed off to the next people in line and they now go to the end of the line.
Parachute and Scooter Activity
- Spread out around the parachute and do the merry-go-round by having everyone turn and skip in one direction.
- Choose one group to get a scooter and go under the parachute.
- Parachute Commands
- Raise the chute up as high as you can.
- Snap Bring the chute down as fast as you can.
- All scooters should be out by the count of three.
- Continue taking turns by calling different color teams: red,blue, yellow and green.
- Whenever the parachute changes direction, the scooters should also change direction. Start walking or skipping, then change directions and moving the parachute up and down.
- Whenever the parachute stops, the scooters can spin around or move any direction they want to.
- After a couple of minutes change places, so everyone gets a turn under the parachute.