Setup and Equipment;
- Select three people to be the octopuses (octopi). They stand on the center line to be the taggers. They will will try to tag people using the two-finger peace tag on the upper back of their classmates.
- The rest of the class are crabs (octopus prey) and stands on one of the lines at one end of the gym, facing the octopi.
- The game starts when the teacher starts the music.
- The octopi are allowed to run anywhere in the gym and use their tentacles (hands) to tag others.
- When someone is tagged by an octopus, they become seaweed and their feet attach to the ocean floor. Their arms are outstretched and they wave in the air as they attempt to tag people when they run by them.
- After most of the crabs have made it to the other side the music is stopped. The students that are running turn around and face the wall they came from.
- The teacher restarts the music and the crabs attempt to run back to their original starting line.
- Play continues in this manner until most of the players have had a turn.
- Anytime an octopus gets tired they may switch with one of the seaweed.
- The game is over when most of the crabs have been turned into seaweed.